How to Start a Cake Business in PA

Hey Commonwealthers of Pennsylvania! You are one of the lucky ones who can legally set up a home-based bakery under the Food Safety Act passed in 2010.

The rules are as follows:
1. No animals/pets are permitted in the home at any time.
2. Children are not permitted in the kitchen area during food processing for the business.
3. The water supply serving the home must be from an approved supply. Private sources must be tested annually for coliform bacteria and Nitrate/Nitrite by the home owner.
4. Department approval may not be in conflict with any local zoning or ordinances. A written statement from the local municipality must be obtained stating such.
5. Registration and fee ($35.00) by the Department of Agriculture are required, no exemptions.
6. All ingredients must be separate from those for personal use (separate shelves,
separate cupboards, etc…) and must be properly labeled, stored and protected.
7. There must be restricted use of the home kitchen during any commercial processing.
8. Any required laboratory testing of food products is arranged for and paid for by the producer.
9. Products must be properly labeled as follows (with some labeling exemptions for baked goods): Continue reading How to Start a Cake Business in PA

Start a Cake Business in Georgia

Georgia’s new cottage food regulations were recently put into effect by the Georgia Department of Agriculture. These new regulations allow home bakers and food artisans creating non potentially hazardous foods to sell the foods directly from their home kitchens for sale to the end consumer. These new regulations are VERY different from what was in place before, so please read through to find out about the changes.

These foods include:

  • Loaf Breads, Rolls, and Biscuits;
  • Cakes;
  • Pastries and Cookies;
  • Candies and Confections;
  • Fruit Pies;
  • Jams, Jellies, and Preserves;
  • Dried Fruits;
  • Dry Herbs, Seasonings and Mixtures;
  • Cereals, Trail Mixes, and Granola;
  • Coated or Uncoated Nuts;
  • Vinegar and Flavored Vinegars; and
  • Popcorn, Popcorn Balls, and Cotton Candy.

Please see the Cottage Food Regulations for licensing, facility, and labeling requirements.

The Cottage Foods Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) document will also provide you with guidance on the types of foods that can be produced, examples of potentially hazardous foods that cannot be sold with a Cottage Food License, and additional information concerning cottage food operations.

Start a Cake Business in Arizona

The Arizona Cottage Food Law went into effect in July  2011. Under this law you can prepare non-hazardous foods in a private home for sale to the public if you meet all the necessary conditions.

  1. You are required to obtain a food handler card before baking and decorating cakes.
  2. You must follow all production guidelines for preparing your home baked goods. Production Guidelines
  3. No hazardous foods such as cheesecakes, meringues, or cream-filled cakes or cupcakes. Hazardous Foods
  4. You must properly label your baked goods  Labeling Requirements
  5. You must be authorized to prepare food for commercial use. Program Registration

Need more information about the Home Baked and Confectionery Goods program? Contact the Arizona Office of Environmental Health

Each county has a different procedure and test. If your county does not require a food handler card, you are strongly encouraged to review the links at the bottom of the page to become familiar with safe food handling practices.

County Permits, Certifications, and Trainings

Food Safety Resources

If your county does not offer a food handler course, you can learn about food safety from the following websites:

Start a cake business in Texas

Congratulations to the home bakers in Texas who, starting Sept 1, 2011 will be able to legally sell cakes from home. The 2011 Texas legislative session passed SB 81 — known as the Texas Baker’s Bill or Cottage Foods Bill. SB 81 allows Texans to make and sell low risk foods. This includes cakes and cupcakes. (It also includes jams, jellies, breads and pastries) directly from home. Here are the highlights:

  • gross annual sales must be below $50,000 (this means sales before any deductions, expenses)
  • No internet sales: You can (and should) have a website. you can not take payments online via a shopping cart, paypal etc.
  • No farmer’s market sales
  • You must label your product and include a statement that the food was made in a home kitchen that has not been inspected by a health department. (it doesn’t have to be attached to the cake)
  • Food handler’s training is not required, but it is encouraged.
  • No license is required.
  • No health inspection is required.
  • Pets are permitted in the home
  • Liability insurance is not required, but it is encouraged especially if you want to do wedding cakes. (many reception facilities require it)

The piece that seems most confusing to me is the transaction rules that I’ve seen circulating on the internet. Some say that the actual payment transaction must take place in the home. I am not seeing this in the law, though I’m not a lawyer.  It is only explicitly stated that no internet sales are permitted. If for example, you deliver a cake to a wedding reception, could you accept payment at the delivery location? Given that the letter of the law is: sells the foods produced under Paragraph (A) only directly to consumers, you are still selling directly to the consumer and not through the internet. Keep in mind no matter where the transaction takes place, you should still offer consumers the means to pay with a credit card. One inexpensive option is the new service from square. This service  requires you to have an iphone, ipad or Android phone.  Once I have more information about the selling rules, I will post an update. Keep in mind the spirit of the law is that you are interacting face to face with your customers — that’s the best way to do business anyway! Post any questions here and I will do my best to answer them. I will also be seeking an opinion from an attorney so check back soon.